With the Olympics opening ceremony broadcasting tomorrow night, why not get your friends together and throw a gold medal-worthy bash? Here are our ideas for throwing a winning bash.
1 of 3
Food: International Flavor To get that eclectic Olympics flavor, arrange for potluck-style buffet of international foods. Ask each of your guests bring a dish that represents their favorite global cuisine. Here are some of our favorite options.
• US: Set up a good old-fashioned grill out! Have one of your guests make a few different types of party-friendly sliders. Another summery, all-American food is watermelon. Not only is this fruit so delicious this time of year, but it’s also very easy to cut into rings to simulate the Olympics logo!
• Japan: Trysushi rolls with roe in various colors to simulate the hues of the Olympics rings. If you’re making this at home, you can get the roe at any specialty grocery store. Or set up a sushi-making station with kits for everyone to make their own individual and unique rolls.
• Greece: Greek cuisine is great for vegetarian guests. We have some delicious falafel complete with dips in the colors of Olympic rings.
• France: Quiche is something that's super-easy to place on a platter -- and you don’t have to worry about keeping it at a certain temperature. This traditional French fare is a guaranteed crowd pleaser.
• Italy: Make some pizza at home with colored toppings for the rings. You can even have your guests make their own with whatever toppings they prefer and bake it for them.
Dessert: Olympian Colors
For dessert, use the Olympics rings as your theme for decorating cupcake cakes, sugar cookie displays and doughnuts! We love these options:
• Cookies with icing and fruit for rings
• Cupcakes with icing to create the rings
• Donuts with colored frosting
• Cream puffs stuffed with colored fillings
2 of 3
Drinks: Cocktail Olympic Rings
What’s a party without a few cocktails, right? Drinks are where your creativity comes in. Create a special cocktail for each color of the Olympic rings. Guests can pick their favorites.
• Blue – Blue Lagoon (mix Blue Curacao, vodka and lemonade)
• Gold – Glitterbomb (a shot of Goldschlager dropped into a glass of golden Redbull)
• Black – Cuba Libre (mix Coke with rum)
• Green – Green Apple Martini (mix vodka with green-apple schnapps)
• Red – Red Sangria (mix red wine with fruit)
3 of 3
Décor: Root for your favorite countryWow guests with tables decorated to for your favorite country – from tablecloth to centerpiece and more, keep it within the flag’s colors. You can even luck out and see if your local party supply store has any July 4th decorations left!
Entertainment: Give Them a Ten
To keep everyone watching the TV, make scoring cards and have guests rate Olympic athletes before the judges. We created these great personalized cards, you can print something similar at home and just get the rings at a local office supply shop.
Favors: Everyone Wins the Gold
No one leaves empty handed, for their ride home, hand out dark and milk chocolate gold-wrapped medals as party favors as one last sweet token of the night. You should be able to find these at any candy store. Add a personal touch by buying some red ribbon and everyone can wear their gold home.